Tree root protection is very necessary nowadays because trees provide us oxygen and keep the environment clean. So it is our duty to sow the new plant and protect the existing trees. Mostly the construction department cut the trees when they construct the buildings, malls, offices, and roads. That is not good for the human environment. They should prepare the map that is not harmful to the trees. In any building, trees enhance the beauty and the environment keep fresh.
A need for Tree Root Protection
In most countries the urbanization is increasing due to the urbanization more buildings are built and the trees are cut down. But Now Tree Preservation Orders (TPO’s) said that trees are most protected and they keep on eyes on the tree when the building department construct especially roads. Many companies now provide new ideas to protect the trees because its protection is very important. They have ideas about a three-dimensional erosion barrier and structural bridge that distributes weight-bearing loads preventing that is better for the feeder roots of the tree.
The result of not using a Tree Root Protection System
If we don’t use the tree root protection then the surface of the ground become compacted that means soil may be compacted by iron oxide and extremely result is that the minimal oxygen and nutrient exchange to the roots in this case the tree is destroyed. In the result trees are not growing well they can’t get complete nutrition from the soil and become disturbing. Trees are not extended its roots and also not grow their height. So better is that adopt the traditional methods in which it carries vehicular traffic and not Digg and disturbs the feeder roots of the tree.
Method to Install TRP System
There are some steps of tree root protection it doesn’t need excavation but it needs to
Unlike traditional methods of road and driveway construction, there is no excavation required to install the Tree Root Protection System.
Regulate the surface
Install TRP membrane
pin the panels open
To install the tree root protection first maintain the surface and cover the roots that are exposed to sand or any other root material. Second, install the TRP membrane and put the panels to the top. Now open the panels and fill it with fines sub-base material that reduced angular. And the depth depends on the CBR value of the soil and the weight of traffic.
Protect Tree Roots from Traffic Damage
To protect the roots from the traffic damage we must install the tree root protection system. Because when the vehicles and other equipment intrude upon the root of the tree then negatively it has an impact on the soil environment and damages the root surface. In that case, the structural integrity of the tree become in danger. So to preventing the trees from disturbing, loading and damaging from traffic to soil install the tree root protection system. Some applications you can adopt like Permanent Woodland Trails, Paths & Cycleways, Driveways, Roads, Access Routes*, Parking Areas
Root Protection Area
It is very planning work to protect the root and apply every suitable application to protect it. It is mostly applied in agriculture and forest. Probably it is an arbitrary area which immediately avoids the damage of the tree’s root. Root protection area is the minimum area around the tree that is contained on sufficient roots to maintain the tree and this is the place where protection of roots and soil is treated well.
How is a root protection area calculated?
The very easy way to calculate the root protection area. According to the British Standard 5837, RPA the root protection area is calculated by multiplying the diameter of the tree at breast height in meters by 12.
Advantages of tree root protection
There are some advantages of tree root protection. You can prevent your tree from damaging.
- Provides even distribution of vehicular weight To prevent subsoil compaction and tree root damage provides even distribution of vehicular weight
- Look completely porous, allowing water permeation and gaseous exchange.
- High load-bearing.
- Shallow, permeable sub-base above ground.
- Excavation is not required for installation.
- Structurally trees support one another.
- Soil remains undisturbed.
- Relatively wildlife uses are unimpaired.
- Shady microclimate encourages natural woodland plants.
- Natural forest succession continues, and forest regeneration is ongoing.
- The stand is visually attractive.
- Ecological functions are relatively unimpaired.
- Flat-pack panels mean ease of delivery and on-site handling.
- Suitable for use porous pavers, grass reinforcement grids, with gravel grids, porous block paving, and porous macadam.
- It is also used to provide temporary site access through woodland or other areas with established trees.
The goal of protection trees
When you start work around the trees then keep in mind that trees are protected from damage. So the mind goal is to keep the trees healthy. They don’t get any harm from the working. This is the part of your development process to protect the trees and make plans and budget. When you start the construction. When you are working then with very carefully protect the trees that are in your range and others to avoid the damage. First, draw the map then start the work then you will protect the trees from the damage. And you must have the information about trees size, species, and health of each tree.
Poor Stand Protection Zone
We explain you some poor stand protection zone has characteristics:
- Due to lack of support trees blow over easily
- Due to disturbed soils and lack of understory soil dries out and soil erosion occurs .
- Weeds and invasive species have taken over.
- Forest succession is interrupted, and little regeneration occurs.
- Forest microclimate is disturbed.
- Sunlight and temperature are increased.
- The stand is visually unattractive.
- Ecological functions are severely interrupted.
- Damaging roots by grading, tearing, or grubbing
- Iron oxide soil with equipment, vehicles, material storage, and/or foot traffic
- Poisonous soil from washing out equipment (especially concrete) and vehicle maintenance
- Installing impervious parking lots, driveways, and walkways
- Invade anything to trees using nails, screws, or spikes
- Injuring or breaking tree trunks or branches through contact with vehicles and heavy equipment
To adopt the best ways to protect the trees because its protection is very important for all. Without trees, we can’t take the fresh air and more benefits from the trees.